» Colon Hydrotherapy
» Blood Microscopy
» Far-Infrared Sauna
» Ionic Foot Baths
» Mental "Rest" Room
» Appointment Fees
The search to understand the functions of the brain and mind led to the discovery of brainwave patterns by German researcher Hans Berger in the 1920's. Measured by the attachment of electrical sensors to the scalp, brainwave activity is still studied today by an instrument called the electroencephalograph, or EEG. This study has identified four major categories of brainwave activity (beta, alpha, theta, and delta), which represent the speed of oscillation (frequency) of brainwaves. These four categories of brain frequencies additionally have been shown to be associated with specific mental states of awareness, that your mind is constantly cycling through based on internal mental dialogue or external environmental stimuli.
To simplify the explanation, the four categories can be summed us as:
A key discovery in brainwave studies was by Gray Walter in the 1940's, a response referred to as the frequency-following effect. He found that brainwave activity would copy or mirror flickering lights in the alpha and theta frequency range, such as that daydreaming response found while staring into a campfire. Other research has shown a similar response with the use of sound and binaural beats, a phenomena where the brain detects minor pitch differences between pure tones and actually creates a beat frequency equal to the difference in the tones, which is heard by the listener but not actually present. This binaural beat phenomenon is the basis for our support of Hemi-Sync™ relaxation CDs as part of any supportive health protocol.
- Beta waves (14-30Hz) are associated with being awake and alert;
- Alpha waves (9-13Hz) represent a state of relaxation, clear mind, and meditative states;
- Theta waves (4-8Hz) are found in deep mental states of relaxation, often with vivid mental images. Advanced meditation can lead to theta mental states where one may experience creative insight and learning.
- Delta waves (1-3Hz) occur when the deepest dreamless states of mind are achieved during sleep and with experienced deep meditation.
Increased Brain Potential Through Audiovisual Experiences:
Hemi-Sync™ technology and research, through The Monroe Institute, has actually shown a synchronization of brainwave activity between the left and right hemispheres of your brain when exposed to binaural beats. The frequency-following effect with flickering lights is additionally suggested to induce this brain synchronization, which is thought to increase information flow between the left and right hemispheres resulting in accelerated learning and increased creativity.
Reset And Clear The Mind:
Nobel Prize winner, Sir Francis Crick suggested that mental dreaming serves as a necessary function to clear the mind. Everybody sets up repeated mental processes, referred to as loops, which can be positive (ex. love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, self-control) or negative (ex. anger, anxiety, sorrow, irritability, depression, etc.), based on your internal or external interpretations and response(s) to what life has to offer. A key to becoming able to change your mental and emotional responses begins with becoming aware of one's thoughts.
Alternatively, sleep and mental dreaming can serve to interrupt your negative mental loops; as experienced with that good morning feeling of taking on a new day. Unfortunately, many wake in the morning and allow the negative mental loops to start all over again.
Programmed Audiovisual Entertainment as found at Pittsburgh Alternative Health, Inc. uses the benefits of flickering light and binaural sound technology to help you interrupt negative emotional response loops by re-directing your attention, and thus aid you in clearing your mind.
Potential Benefits Of Programmed Audiovisual Entertainment
Some of the suggested benefits of light and sound technology include:
Other Potential Applications Of Programmed Audiovisual Entertainment:
- Relaxation - using light and sound to direct your mind from beta ' alpha ' theta ' delta then back to alpha states walks your body through a mental relaxation and reset experience into a relaxed state. Learning to manage stress is essential to any health program, and doing it in a safe, drug-free, and natural way only enhances the satisfaction of the experience. This is a great way to end a crazy day at the office.
- Accelerated Learning - In today's information age, the quest for knowledge and an "edge" has been associated with personal growth and success. Suggested brain synchronization and increased information flow capacity can lead to improved memorization, concentration, and efficiency of mental comprehension and processing.
- Creativity - Like a quiet walk on the beach with the sounds of synchronized splashing waves, a mental walk through theta mind states can open the door to your personal creative thoughts and breakthroughs. Theta mind states are where your mind is most receptive to your deep creative insights.
- Physical Performance and Sports - optimal physical performance and sports require a competitive edge and ability to enter one's mental "zone" in order to focus and achieve higher levels of competition. Using mental guides through beta and alpha brainwave states can prepare you to quickly and clearly respond with a relaxed sense of well being during the stress of the moment.
- Mental Stimulation and Excitement - Forget the coffee and energy drinks! Stimulate your mind with beta state excitement followed by a whole body sense of readiness to get up and go. With sessions as short as 11 minutes, light and sound stimulation can be a great substitute for the lunch coffee break to help you expand mental awareness, accelerate learning, and relax when the stress is on.
Some of the clinical applications where this technology has been used include:
Mental "Rest" Room Costs: .50˘ / Minute!
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Seasonal Affective Disorder
- Traumatic Stress Disorders
- ADHD and ADD
- Chronic Fatigue
"Rest" room programs vary in length from 11 - 45 minutes, with most sessions lasting 20 or 30 minutes. Please Call To Schedule Appointments As We Can Not Guarantee Session Availablilty For "Walk In's."
"Light and Sound Systems" or "Mind Machines" have been on the market for years. Product manufacturers report thousands of logged users with many hours on the equipment used at Pittsburgh Alternative Health, Inc. with virtually no reported ill effects.
There are some situations and conditions where use of our programmed audiovisual entertainment is strongly discouraged. These devices use flickering light, which can cause seizures in persons with photosensitive epilepsy. Additionally, persons with a history of seizures, mental disorders, or alcohol/drug abuse should first consult their medical doctor prior to using programmed audiovisual entertainment.
No medical claims regarding the use of programmed audiovisual entertainment are made, expressed, or implied here within. Programmed audiovisual entertainment is not intended for treatment or replacement of medical or psychological care.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product or service is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.